Mutable Instruments Ripples
This used Ripples is fully functional and in excellent condition.
Ripples delivers a classic, big-sounding analog four-pole filter in a small 8-HP package, continuing Mutable Instruments’ lineage of warm and tasty filters started by the Shruthi SMR4 mkII and 4-Pole Mission.
3 filter modes are available: 2-pole band-pass, 2-pole low-pass, and 4-pole low-pass.
Self-oscillation is available for all modes and produces a clean sine-wave on the LP4 output. Unlike many classic 4-pole designs, this filter does not suffer from “loudness drop” when resonance is increased. The resonance loudness compensation circuit brings a slight tone coloration reminiscent of the Roland SH/Jupiter filters, with a very round and “liquid” resonance.
The 4-pole low-pass output is additionally sent to a VCA. This makes Ripples a good “final stage” module for an inexpensive/space-constrained subtractive synthesis synth voice.
- Signal in
- Frequency CV 1 (1V/Oct)
- Resonance CV. Self oscillation starts at 4V. Control voltages above 5V are non-linearly compressed, for fine control of resonance overdrive
- Frequency CV 2 (with bipolar attenuator, from -1V/Oct to 1V/Oct)
- VCA level. Control voltages above 5V are non-linearly compressed.
- Cutoff frequency, 18Hz to 18kHz
- Resonance (self oscillation at 80%)
- Attenuverter on Frequency CV
- 2-pole BP
- 2-pole LP
- 4-pole LP
- 4-pole LP attenuated by VCA
- Fully analog, based on SSM2164 low noise/distortion quad VCA chip, and LM13700 OTA for that extra bit of non-linearity.
- Frequency CV inputs impedance: 100k.
- Audio input impedance: 75k.
- Resonance and VCA CV input impedance: 30k.
- Open-source hardware.
- Current consumption: +12V: 35mA ; -12V: 35mA.